In the city of Zutphen, B+O renovated a listed building from the 1930’s into a shop. The former bank building was inward looking and closed off, and thus became a passive part of the square on which it is located. By partially removing the parapets, the windows became larger and shoppers are drawn inside. The previous canopy at the main entrance had been removed, strengthening the open expression. These adjustments allow the property to merge back into the city.
Authentic details such as window frames and the dark brick facade have been preserved; they are complemented by the robustness of the new steel window frames, including the large one on the ground floor. Old and new blends together peacefully and proportionally.
The shop, in which the international fashion retailer H&M is located, has two floors and a total area of approximately 1000m2. To create additional space, an extension was built on the flat roof of the ground floor. The dividing line between the present and the past is invisible, because the original identity of the building is continued in the expansion.
Without disrespecting the existing property, new features that meet current requirements are added. If necessary, the facade of the building can be easily modified in the future and returned to its original state. For instance, the removed parapets are preserved and the steel frames of the frames may be removed.
Adjustments to the property have also increased the quality of the adjacent square. It has become more inviting and accessible, regaining its status as a valuable place in town centre.
architect: Arnoud Olie / client: Back Vastgoed bv